Thursday 26 July 2012

juggling time

A disjointed couple of weeks...
Unpredictable and often intense or continuous rain has left me behind on a few outdoor tasks at home and at the field.
The grass (and weeds) have grown a fair bit and the longer grass has layered a bit with all the rain.
I took some time out for visits here and there, noseying through relatively local landscapes.

The National Vegetation Classification grassland study day locally was excellent. I'll definitely be looking at more courses - handy being less than a couple of miles from my plot too.

An independent survey carried out on the orchard, a few more tasks to carry out correcting and protecting whilst things are still relatively young. (A few more apples on the trees than I would have liked so early in their life-span, I'm sure I nipped more buds out).

A decent book picked up after coffee & cake in Oswestry - A Northern Marches Pomonia.
Whilst over that way, a visit to some woodland I helped replant and look after.

The Austrian scythe is excellent, I'm really pleased with it and it has proved quite useful at the field.

A weekend away at The Secret Garden Party Festival - not much gardening (initially a lot of rain on the Thursday), but quite a scenic and interesting setting and a good lecture on alternative modern farming in one of the fringe tents.

Back at the field and it has been intensely sunny for a few days. Some time spent clearing vegetation from around the fruit trees, ther looks to have been quite a bit of vole activity.
At home some more of the tree stocks potted on and a minor bit of machinery and implement tidying and maintenance.
Next week another big mow if we have a few sunny days on the run...

No comments:

Post a Comment