Monday 18 February 2013

February: A quieter than anticipated few weeks

Another seasonal minor inundation from the nearby River Dee across the meadow / orchard at the weekend.
Although the level wasn't too extreme
Unfortunately a dead brown badger on the main road near by.
Lots of water-fowl on the surrounding flood-plain fields.

Managed a brief stroll around to check for debris and damage and to check the mature trees. This week has seen a few days with sunshine and no rain, but I've been unable to take advantage, being laid up with a particularly aggressive turn in the Crohn's Disease I got diagnosed a few years back (hence my enthusiasm for decent, natural local food and produce).

Only really managed a bit of seed and cutting preparation at home with respect to plans for 2013.
In between planned and unplanned visits to hospital and writhing around in agony, I've been browsing through Twitter at what other like minded folk are up to around now and what their ground conditions are like (surely things will dry up a bit one day)?

Quite looking forward to getting a few native seeds in the patched up bits of hedge, including some extra hops (a few growing wild). It'll be interesting to see how well the meadowsweet has proliferated after deliberately leaving the flowers to seed (I'm suspicious I might have missed opportunity with moist ground conditions to run a cambridge roll over to see if that helps germination of extra patches).

Considering I spend 2 weeks of time away with my proper job, I'd underestimated how much of an outdoorsy type I am when stuck inside with no choice...

No comments:

Post a Comment